The elegance that we enjoy today is a far cry from our humble beginnings at 2708 Mitchell Street. We can
only imagine the joy Elder W.W. Flowers and Elder C.C. Childress would feel to see their 1923 vision
develop into the splendor it is today.
While Elder Flowers and Childress are the original founders, there have been many who labored in faith
throughout the years. Among those were Elder C.H. Stevens, Elder W.H. Thomas, and Elder A.J.
Jackson. It was under the leadership of Elder Jackson that the church located at 2708 Mitchell Street was
built with a faithful few members. In 1952, another church was purchased and the church relocated to the
intersection of Lagow and Bertrand Streets. That same year, Superintendent C.C. Cox reopened the
church at the Mitchell Street location.
In 1958, Superintendent T.D. Daniels was instrumental in passing the baton when he appointed Elder E.L.
Battles as Pastor. Elder Battles grasped the baton with vigor and sheer faith as he acquired a mortgage
debt of $4,000.00 and a small congregation of about fifteen members. With God on our side and strong
determination, it was not long before that debt was marked “Paid in Full”. The next edifice was a 60 x 40
feet auditorium and the name was changed to Abundant Life Church of God in Christ. After many years of
faithfulness to God and to the church, Pastor Battles was called from labor to reward in 1996.
On June 11, 1997, the baton was officially placed in the hands of Elder Everett Jones as he was appointed
Pastor of Abundant Life Church of God in Christ. Pastor Jones is a man of faith and has a vision for the
church. Under his leadership and “family oriented” perspective, the congregation has steadily grown.
From a little house in the Magnolia Addition to a spacious edifice on Hampton Rd, God has been good to
Abundant Life Church of God in Christ.
|Abundant Life Church of God in Christ